Constable Hall is located on the edge of the Tug Hill Plateau. Perched on a hillside, it overlooks the Black River Valley with the Adirondack Mountains in the distance.
The Hall is the foundation of North Country history. The Federal style limestone building was built in the early 1800’s by William Constable, Jr.
His father, William Sr., was a wealthy New York City merchant who owned 3.8 million acres of Northern New York and was responsible for beginning the development of the entire region – encompassing all of Lewis, Jefferson, St. Lawrence and parts of Oswego, Herkimer and Franklin counties.
After nine years of construction, the Hall was completed in 1819. The nearby village, first settled in 1796 and originally known as Shalersville, eventually took on the name of Constableville. Several generations of the Constable family lived at the Hall until it was sold in 1947. By 1949 it was restored as a house museum and opened to the public for tours and event usage. It has become a favorite community and tourist attraction.